Here are some efficiency tips to help you stay comfortable and save money.
Heating and Cooling Tips
- Program thermostat to 68° in the winter and 78° in the summer.
- Run ceiling fans only when in the room to help you feel cooler at a higher setting in warm weather.
- Change your HVAC filters monthly or follow manufacturer’s instructions.
- Keep windows locked to ensure a maximum seal and increased comfort.
- Close the fireplace damper when not in use.
- Close shades/draperies at night in winter to keep out cold and during day in summer to keep out heat.
Water Heater Tips
- Set water heater no higher than 120°.
- Wrap the water heater and hot water lines leaving the unit if in unconditioned space.
- A heat pump water heater can save a family of four $330/yr according to Energy Star.
- Limit shower length to 5-7 minutes.
- Fix dripping water faucets.
- Replace bulbs that burn more than one hour/day with Energy Star-certified CFL or LEDs.
- Turn off lights when you leave the room.
- Replace outdoor lighting with Energy Star-certified CFL or LEDs labeled for outdoor use.
- Use outdoor lights with photocells or motion sensors to limit use.
- Recycle any used CFL at any SRE office for FREE.
- Hang clothes outside to take advantage of FREE solar power.
- Wash clothes in cold water or using an energy-efficient setting.
- Wash only full loads.
- If you do small loads, adjust the water level to match the load.
- Use bath towels twice before washing them.
- Clean the dryer lint trap before each use.
- Make sure the dryer vent hose is not kinked, clogged or blocked.
- Use moisture sensor to minimize drying time.
- Dry consecutive loads to harvest the heat remaining in the dryer.
- Use the dishwasher’s efficiency setting and only wash full loads.
- Use the disfwasher’s air dry cycle.
- Clean refrigerator coils annually.
- Keep the refrigerator doors closed.
- Set the refrigerator temperature to 34-37° F and freezer to 0-5°F.
- Use microwaves, slow cookers and grills to prepare food when possible.
- Choose the right pot to fit the stove surface and use lid to conserve heat.
- Use cold water when using the garbage disposal.