When a storm of any kind threatens the service area, Singing River Electric activates its Storm Preparedness and Restoration Plan which guides advance preparation, damage assessment and power restoration. Here’s how you can stay prepared as well and know what to expect as severe weather approaches:
- Update your contact information with Singing River Electric. Having your current phone number on file will help our dispatchers assign linemen to restore your power more efficiently.
- Download Singing River Electric’s SmartHub app to report outages quickly and to view a live outage map.
- Prepare your home or business. Secure outdoor furniture, charge cell phones, check supplies in your emergency kit, stock water and non-perishable food, set refrigerator on the coldest setting and keep doors closed to keep food cold, review your evacuation plan.
- Stay tuned to local media to keep up with current weather conditions.
- Make a plan for family members who rely on electronic medical equipment or have other special needs. No utility can guarantee electric service during or following severe weather.
- Be ready to shut off or disconnect any appliances that will turn on automatically if the power goes out and is then restored, such as air conditioners and refrigerators, to help prevent your circuits from being overloaded.