Singing River Electric welcomed members at the 2022 Annual Membership Meeting on Thursday, June 30. Attendees enjoyed an evening of fellowship, learned about their cooperative’s plans for 2022 and read about highlights from 2021 in the annual report. The annual meeting and annual report included information on both Singing River Electric and SR Connect fiber service. This news post is an electronic piece accompanying the annual report linked below.
Additional 2021 Accomplishments:
Singing River Electric
- SRE’s board retired $2.5 million in capital credits for the year 1995; Cooperative Energy retired $1.5 million in capital credits for the year 1991 and partial returns for 1994, 2006, and 2007.
- Nine solar installations were commissioned in 2021.
- SRE awarded nearly $20,000 in NHN Community Grants to local nonprofits.
- Our crews assisted many fellow cooperatives during 2021: Magnolia Electric and Southwest Electric after Winter Storms Uri and Viola, Central Electric and East Mississippi Electric after thunderstorms, and Magnolia Electric and South Louisiana Electric following Ida.
- Certified 47 Comfort Advantage homes.
- Awarded 227 heat pump rebates.
- Completed 400 energy audits.
- Added prepay as a payment option for those who want to pay in advance for electricity as they go.
- Re-cleared 930 right-of-way miles to ensure reliable service to all members.
- Awarded scholarships to local students through chamber of commerce programs.
- Hosted Cooperative University and selected three high school juniors for the 2022 youth leadership program and Youth Tour of Washington D.C.
- More than 140,000 calls were answered by SRE member service representatives.
SR Connect Fiber Internet
- Completed construction of nearly 800 miles of fiber lines by SR Connect contract crews.
- Connected 1,000 fiber internet subscribers throughout Greene, George, Perry, Wayne and Jackson counties.
- Moving into Phase 2 of fiber construction in 2022. Substation areas in construction will be announced as they are open for sign-ups.
Statistics and Affiliates:
- SRE served 77,637 meters across 7,630 miles of power lines, as of Dec. 31, 2021.
- The co-op sold $1.4B in kilowatt-hour sales in 2021.
- Wholesale provider: Cooperative Energy
- State affiliate: Electric Cooperatives of Mississippi
- National affiliate: National Rural Electric Cooperative Association
SRE Board of Directors:
The board of directors is made up of 10 SRE members who serve based on their geographic representation.
Seven Cooperative Principles:
Learn more about the framework of the cooperative business model by watching The Electric Cooperative Story.