My Home

Neighbors Helping Neighbors IconSinging River Electric’s Neighbors Helping Neighbors Energy Assistance (NHNEA) program enables SRE members to assist those including the elderly, handicapped and others who have difficulty paying their electric bill. The program rounds up member bills to the nearest whole dollar. It is coordinated by United Way for Jackson and George Counties and administered through Catholic Charities of South Mississippi.

How does NHNEA work? Neighbors Helping Neighbors Energy Assistance works only through the generosity of our member-members. Donations are distributed through UWJGC and Catholic Charities.

How do I contribute? Simply click on the link above or check the box at the top right of your billing statement labeled “Participate in NHN.” Your billing statement will be rounded up each month to the next whole dollar. The rounded up portion would be anywhere from one penny added to that month’s bill or as much as ninety-nine cents. Annual donations will average about $6. All donations will be given to the local United Way to be distributed one time per year to eligible SRE members who cannot pay their electric bill.

How do I sign up for assistance? It is easy to sign up. All Singing River Electric members are eligible to call the toll-free number to speak with a representative. Simply call Catholic Charities at 1-855-847-0555. General information will be taken and the member will be given a list of documents required for an appointment.

Graphic describing GIVE JOY campaign. Asking members to round up their power bill to help neighbors in need.

GIVE JOY this holiday season and all year long. Round up your power bill and help a neighbor in need. It averages only around $6/ year and helps the elderly and those who cannot pay their power bill.

NHN Energy Assistance Q&A:

What is NHN Energy Assistance?

NHN Energy Assistance is a round-up program in which Singing River Electric members choose to round-up their bill each month to the nearest whole dollar. The rounded-up portion of the bill is used to assist those in the community who cannot pay their power bill. Donations range from 1¢ to 99¢ each month and average only $6 per year.

How do I donate to SRE's NHN Energy Assistance?

There are four ways to sign up:

  1. Click here to complete the online donation form.
  2. Check the NHN Energy Assistance box at the top of your bill.
  3. Sign up using the SmartHub app on your mobile device.
  4. Call any SRE office and request to participate.

Once enrolled, the billed amount will "round up" to the nearest whole dollar.

Why should I donate?

We all need a little help from our neighbors from time to time. This is a unique, secure way to help those in your community. All recipients are screened to ensure there is a verified need, and 100 percent of NHN Energy Assistance donations go to help SRE members.

Where does this money go?

One hundred percent of collected donations are distributed to SRE members through United Way for Jackson and George Counties and Catholic Charities of South Mississippi.

How does Catholic Charities work to further assist applicants?

The goal of case management is to assist applicants and offer ways to help minimize the stress of a financial strain in the future. To meet this goal, each applicant is partnered with a case manager. Clients are asked to provide financial information to the agency and work with case managers to establish financial goals and objectives.

How do Singing River Electric members qualify for assistance?

Members must show a need and a willingness to make changes in their life to change their current financial situation. Applications may be picked up at the Catholic Charities office, or call 1-855-847-0555 to learn if a member meets the qualification for the program.

How many times a year can SRE members get power bill assistance and for how much?

Qualified SRE members can receive up to $125, one time per year through NHN Energy Assistance as long as funds are available.

Does Catholic Charities only help Catholics?

No. Applicants are not asked their faith affiliation.

For more information, call any Singing River Electric office to speak to a member service representative.

Singing River Electric members may also be eligible for financial assistance from these additional local agencies:

  • United Way for Jackson & George Counties – 228-762-8557, 1-800-762-8557,
  • Statewide information and referral number to receive assistance on any health or human service need – 211
  • is a free service available to everyone in Mississippi seeking information about available resources. Dialing 211 will connect you with someone who can help you find the resources you need.
  • Salvation Army (Jackson County residents only) – 228-762-7222
  • Christian Services – 601-582-5683 (Hattiesburg office – However, they will assist SRE members from any area.)
  • Civic Action Community Services
    Note: The agencies below require that all households applying for services complete an application prior to service. Visit for online application.

    • Jackson County Civic Action – 228-471-1230,
    • Gulf Coast Community Action Agency – 601-947-7426, 601-394-2942
    • PRVO for Greene County – 601-964-8231

For more information on these services, see our Manage My Bill page on this site.