Resetting your home breakers can sometimes restore power to your home. If your power goes out, check to see if your neighbors’ lights are still on. If they are, you may be able to restore power to your home or office by resetting your breakers.
Here’s an easy, three-step guide to resetting your breakers:
- Find the breaker panel in your home, which may be located in a utility room or garage. Turn off every breaker, one at a time.
- Next, reset your main breaker. If your main breaker is not in your breaker panel, it will be located outside near your electric meter. Do not touch the meter. Open the panel beside the meter. Reset the main breaker by turning the switch off and on two times. Leave the switch in the on position.
- Return to the breaker panel inside your home and turn each breaker back to the on position, one at a time. In many cases, power is now restored.
Always keep these safety tips in mind when resetting breakers:
- Don not use any tools. Just use your hand.
- Do not touch the electric meter.
- Do not stand in water when turning breakers on or off.