We at Singing River Electric are not experts in picking flooring or selecting that perfect color for an accent wall, but we are experts in helping our members build and remodel their homes into energy efficient, high performing homes. If you have read more than one article on building a new home or talked to more than one contractor about remodeling your existing home, you know that the possibilities are endless on new building products and techniques.
As a member of Singing River Electric, you have access to our BPI trained, Certified Building Professionals. We are prepared to guide you through the building process stage by stage as the dream of your new home becomes a reality. If you are remodeling or building new, we offer free site visits to discuss your project and offer ideas on how to make your renovations improve the performance of your home. Our primary focus to help you understand that the house is a system, and the different parts of the home work together to seal the thermal envelope also known as your home.
Below are few recommendations to consider as you move through the building process:
- Insulation: R-30 or higher in the attic, R-13 or higher in the walls (R = resistance to heat)
- Closed Cell Spray Foam: R-7.3/in. (It is important to note that R values do not
- Open Cell Spray Foam: R-3.7/in. completely capture the value of spray foam)
- Cellulose: R-3.8/in.
- Fiberglass: R-3.1/in.
- Window: double pane with protective coatings and improved frames
- U-Value and Solar Heat Gain Coefficient less than .60
- Heating and cooling equipment: electric or ground source heat pump
- Have heat load calculation done by HVAC contractor
- 14 SEER or higher (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio)
- Connected or smart thermostat
- Adequate air grill(s)
*Most important is that all products are installed per manufacturer recommendations for stated performance ratings.