Singing River Electric’s crews and management are prepared and are meeting to complete assignments and review safety protocols prior to Hurricane Ida entering the Gulf of Mexico. The electric cooperative has requested additional line and vegetation management crews to be available to assist SRE crews immediately following the storm.
“We expect crews to work up to the time that it is no longer safe, which is once winds maintain 35-mile per hour speeds,” said Singing River Electric General Manager and CEO Brian Hughey. “At that time, we will call them in until it is once again safe to work outside.”
Hurricane Ida is expected to make landfall as a Category 4 storm with a large footprint and heavy rainfall. Much of the high winds, rain and storm surge will affect the Mississippi Gulf Coast. Now is the time to prepare.
- Download the SmartHub app to have easy access to a live outage map and the quickest way to report a power outage.
- Charge your phone and any portable charger banks.
- Make an evacuation plan if anyone in your home depends on electric medical equipment.
- Complete your storm kit by refilling medicines, food, batteries, water and pet supplies.
- Make sure your home is cool before the storm hits, and keep doors and windows shut as long as possible during and immediately following the storm to keep cold air in.
- Keep your refrigerator doors closed during and after the storm to keep items cold as long as possible during a power outage.
- Fill bathtubs with water for washing and for flushing toilets.
- Stay informed and get prepared by visiting our Storm and Outage Center at www.singingriver.com.
Singing River Electric Cooperative has weathered many storms in its 83 years. We are your trusted source for power and information. Serving electric power to seven counties in Mississippi (Jackson, George, Greene, Stone, Perry, Wayne and Harrison) and two counties in Alabama (Mobile and Washington), Singing River Electric works to power homes, businesses and our local communities. For more information, visit www.singingriver.com.