Ways to Save
Food brings nourishment as well as joy to people, especially in south Mississippi. Adopt these tips and find more joy in energy savings.
- Use pot lids to help food cook faster on the stove. Make sure lids fit tightly.
- Choose the right pot or pan to fit the stove's heating elements.
- Turn off the kitchen exhaust fan when you are finished cooking.
- Let time and temperature be your guide to avoid opening the oven door to check the food's progress. Opening the door makes the temperature drop.
- Make use of the oven the entire time it is on. Put dessert in to bake when your entree comes out.
- Keep food warm in the oven by taking advantage of the heat still there after you turn it off. Set the temperature to a low setting to keep food warm for a longer time period.
- Use the appropriately sized oven for what you are cooking if your kitchen has more than one. Use the smaller one whenever possible.
- Use microwaves, slow cookers and grills to prepare food when possible. These small appliances use less energy.
- Grill food outdoors when weather allows to give your appliances and A/C a break.
Comfort Advantage is a recognized standard for energy-efficient construction and quality products for the home and business. The benefits of Comfort Advantage are promoted by electric cooperatives who provide electric service to more than 400,000 Mississippi homes and businesses.