Ways to Save
Lighting makes up approximately 11 percent of your monthly energy use. When you flip the switch, keep these things in mind.
- Turn off lights when you leave a room.
- Change your most used bulbs to LEDs (light emitting diode) for maximum efficiency. LEDs use 75-80 percent less energy than traditional incandescent bulbs and last up to 25 times longer. As other bulbs burn out, replace them with LEDs.
- Use dimmer switches to control of amount of light a bulb puts off.
- Install lights over work areas, such as desks and in workshops.
- Use night lights instead of leaving on lamps or overhead lights.
- Install outdoor lights with a photocell and/or motion sensor for automatic turn on and turn off. LED light bulbs for outdoor lights are available.
- Buy lamps with a three-way switch to have lighting level options.
- Let the sun help light your home on winter days by opening drapes on the south side of your home.
- Change your holiday lights to LEDs, which use less energy, last longer and are more safe around Christmas trees and greenery.
Comfort Advantage is a recognized standard for energy-efficient construction and quality products for the home and business. The benefits of Comfort Advantage are promoted by electric cooperatives who provide electric service to more than 400,000 Mississippi homes and businesses.