When you are feeling chilly at home, there are several budget-friendly ways to keep you and the family comfortable this winter without turning up the thermostat.
Here are a few easy ways to stay cozy and save money but not increasing your electricity use.
- Set your thermostat to 68° or lower.
- Dress for the weather, even indoors. Keep your socks and sweater on to keep from raising the heat.
- Layer blankets on your bed and lower the thermostat while you sleep several degrees. Program it to raise the temperature 10-15 minutes prior to your alarm for added comfort.
- Lower the thermostat while you are away. Every degree difference lower than 68° will save you around 5%.
- Harness the sun’s heat by opening drapes and blinds in sunny windows and closing them at sundown.
- Close your fireplace flue when not in use.
- Use space heaters sparingly, if at all, and only while you are in the room.
For more tips to conserve, be comfortable and save money, see our heating and cooling tips at singingriver.com/ways-to-save.